Friday 4 July 2014

Female Rappers Are Not Appreciated In Nigeria – Kel (Must Read)



Remember Kel, the rapper who thrilled

us with hits like 'wa wa alright' and 'you

too fine'?. In this chat with Punch, she

talks about her hiatus from the music

scene.

Read excerpts below..

On her deliberate hiatus

“I am working on other projects

which are all entertainment

related. Although I haven’t

recorded any new song lately, I am

working to release a come-back

album before the year runs out. I

have only stepped aside to take

care of my education and to sort

out pending issues with my former

records label. I want to work on my

music and myself, physically and

mentally. But I am still in touch with

the Nigerian music scene. Also, I am

a brand ambassador for SOULMATE

Industries.”

On her imminent return to the music

scene

“When I eventually return to the

music scene, those who appreciate

my kind of music will still embrace it.

Yes, the industry has changed. So

have people’s motives and

standard for music changed. Some

people have come out with very

amazing music that people are

accepting these days and others

have also come out with very

ridiculous and funny music.

“Some people are also accepting

the industry that has gone down in

some areas. But in terms of

international appeal, a lot of

artistes have bridged that gap

internationally, which is a good

thing. Content wise, the music is

depleted. Thankfully, people are

getting tired of “club songs” with

the same old beats and lyrics.

Competition is something I don’t

focus on. I have never done it and I

never will.”

The fact that the rap music scene in

Nigeria is being run by the male

rappers, with a few female rappers

slowly tagging along, is no longer

news. Save for the likes of Eva,

Sasha P, Muna and Weird MC-who

are yet to hold their own

competition-wise and a crop of

underground acts, it is indeed a

tough call for female rappers.

“Rap will always be a looked down

upon as a music genre in Nigeria.

The truth is that only two percent

of the country’s population really

appreciates rap music for what it is.

Being a female rapper in Nigeria

puts you under so much pressure,

but I won’t be switching genres

when I return. I just want to

release my new album as a

surprise. I am not signed on to any

records label because I run my own

label and won’t be signing on any

artiste for now,” she said.

On maturity and what her absence has

taught her

“I used to read what was written

about me, become saddened and

sometimes cry. But I have moved

on. Now I read and laugh a lot,

shake my head, and sometimes

share jokes with friends. I have

grown wiser and stronger and more

comfortable and honest with who I

am. Experience has taught me a lot

and I have learnt that nobody will

look out for you like you can.

“Right now, I will make music that is

raw and real.. I miss performing on

stage. Some people said I left

because I was broke and started a

family somewhere. But they are all

wrong. I am dedicated to my work

and music for now. I won’t be

releasing a double album because

that will be too much music at once.

Nigerian artistes are doing well

especially on the international

level.”

No comments :

Post a Comment