Friday 27 June 2014

Must Read: 'Fayemi’s Acceptance Of Defeat is A Propaganda Stunt..He Has Not Been Picking My Calls'- Fayose Reveals


The Ekiti State governor-elect, Mr Ayo

Fayose, on Thursday in Abuja, said that

the concession of incumbent governor

Kayode Fayemi to defeat was a

propaganda stunt aimed at eliciting

public sympathy.


Fayose told the News Agency of Nigeria

(NAN) that although Fayemi at the

weekend conceded publicly and

congratulated him, the governor had not

picked calls from him since then.

“The governor said I am conceding to

defeat. Let me be realistic with you,

there is a difference between

propaganda and reality.


“I have been calling the governor since

after our meeting but he hasn’t picked

the call.

“If you read all papers now, he said I will

create local governments before I go;

how do you reconcile these things?


“I am not a propagandist, I am a realist.

The governor says he will do

employment before he leaves that

means you want to create problem for

the incoming government.


“So I see that concession, as good as it

may be, we must all be realistic about it,

we must not deceive the Nigerian

populace.


“Their party said we are still studying

the ink used by INEC; it is the governor

that conceded not our party,” he said.

Fayose recalled that in 2003, his

predecessor, Mr Niyi Adebayo, also

conceded defeat but went ahead to

conduct a mass recruitment though he

had only six months remaining in his

tenure.


“I respect the governor; he is our

leader, up until the 15th of October, he

remains our leader but I want to appeal

to APC not to play propaganda with

sensitive issues like this.


“If the governor says I am not going, his

party too must make pronouncements

otherwise I do not mind them going to

court.


“The court will ask you: “it is usually the

incumbent that rigs, why would

somebody who is not an incumbent now

rig and defeat you in your ward”?


He said that none of the APC Senators

or House of Representative members,

including former governor, Mr Segun

Oni, won in their polling booths, not even

former Governor Segun Oni.


Fayose, however, commended the

incumbent governor for the bold step

taken in conceding defeat, though it was

meant to induce public sympathy.

He said though he would run an inclusive

government he would only work with

those who were willing to work with him.


“With due respect, I know APC more

than you, I will not shoot myself in the

leg before I start so I will rather let us

leave it as it is.


“It is our government but we will make

sure they have their say; minority will

have their say, majority will have their

way. We will make sure that there is an

environment for them to operate as

credible opposition to government.”

No comments :

Post a Comment